Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Being An Introvert♡

A lot of the time people think being an introvert is just someone who is shy, but in fact, that's not always the case and has little to do with actually being an introvert. Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit, okay a lot, shy when it comes to meeting new people.

So what exactly does it mean to be introverted? Well, there's a few things that you could do that puts you in that category. My biggest one is to not really wanting to socialize unless it's with a small group of close friends. Even then, I tend to always be exhausted and need to 'recharge' after hanging out. I also need to know ahead of time before hanging out so I can 'prepare' myself for the energy I'll be spending. Sounds crazy right? Well, if you are like this, you're not the only one!

Before I even found out about this, I kept asking myself, 'what's wrong with me?' I'd get so upset, to the point of tears, because I hated myself for not always wanting to hangout with a lot of people I cared about. Not to mention, I never knew exactly how to explain myself when it comes to needing time to myself for a while. Without sounding rude.

Introverts prefer solitary to social environments. Doing activities that let you explore your own personal thoughts. Like reading, doing art, even going hiking. Having that time to yourself is okay. It doesn't mean your depressed. Or anti-social. It just means that you need some time to yourself before a lot of socializing.

So here's some of my tips!

Take time to yourself. No, not everyone will understand even when you try to explain why you need it, but do what you have to do to feel comfortable and at ease.

Enjoy your small group of friends. Less is indeed, more. If you're feeling like you can do it, don't be afraid to go enjoy your hangouts with your close friends. If they're really you're true friends, they should understand and know that you still care even if it means not hanging out 24/7.

Not going to big gatherings is okay. Don't listen to people who are telling you you're missing out on life by not going to the latest parties. If you prefer to stay home on the weekends watching Netflix and laying around in your pj's, then go for it. You're really not missing out on too much, and who cares as long as that's what makes you happy?

Sometimes you need to push yourself. Not saying you should have to do this all the time, but making memories outside your comfort zone can sometimes be worthwhile. I wouldn't have enjoyed my senior year of high school near as much if I didn't.

Don't hate yourself for it. This was one of the hardest things for me, not understanding why I was like this. A lot of people have the same thing and it's not really as big of an issue as long as you take the time for yourself. Be happy with who you are.

Are you an introvert or extravert?
Until next time friends~

3 comments:

  1. I actually am quite the introvert. Except when it comes to the bf, I can hang 24/7 with him and don't get the feeling of needing time to myself, even though I always thought that I would be very different once I entered a serious relationship. I guess we are all full of surprises, even when it comes to surprising our self :D
    Great post and helpful tips.
    best, Lou.

    http://vegantarianlifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and I'm the same way with my husband and family! Thanks for your wonderful comment. ^.^

      Delete
  2. I'm a shy ambivert. I wish I was confident!

    Jenny of http://www.pennedbyjenny.co.uk

    ReplyDelete